Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ridiculous Violence Over an Act of Free Speech

 "He who does not show mercy to others will not be shown mercy" - Prophet Mohamed (pbuh)
And Allah invites to the Home of Peace and guides whom He wills to a straight path (10:25)
And when they hear ill speech, they turn away from it and say, "For us are our deeds, and for you are your deeds. Peace will be upon you; we seek not the ignorant." (28:55)
"Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish (i.e. don't punish them)." (7:199)
"And those who avoid the major sins and immoralities, and when they are angry, they forgive," (42:37)
He said, "I will ask forgiveness for you from my Lord. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful." (12:98)
"And remove the fury in the believers' hearts. And Allah turns in forgiveness to whom He wills; and Allah is Knowing and Wise." (9:15)
"If U should punish them - indeed they R Ur servants; but if U 4give them - indeed it is You who is the Exalted in Might, the Wise." (5:118)
"Degrees [of high position] from Him and forgiveness and mercy. And Allah is ever Forgiving and Merciful." (4:96)
Kind speech & forgiveness r better than charity followed by injury. And Allah is Free of need & Forbearing. (2:263)

There are many ways to react to insult. Certainly, the Prophet Mohammed (sws) is a revered figure in Islam. I was taught from a young age that he was to be respected. However, I was raised in the United States of America where there exists in the frame work of our Constitution a separation of Mosque/Church and State. The First Amendment to our Constitution provides for freedom of Speech, Press, Assembly and Religion. That means people of my Country can say, print, gather and worship as they choose. It also means people with sour guts who want only to vomit on others are free to do so with vile and hateful speech. Consequently, the older I’ve gotten the more I’ve seen The Prophet disrespected by those who don’t believe he was God’s Messenger. I’ve seen many people respond vehemently to these insults and wondered why? Yes, these types of insults are disconcerting to me as I’ve always tried to be respectful of other people’s beliefs. That is what I was taught. But, I was also taught that it was better to forgive than to attack. The Quotes above are just a small sample of what I was taught when I was growing up. So, my bewilderment at the sight of a Brother becoming enraged and yelling at non-Muslims for their transgressing grew to horror with the knowledge that people were being killed for it.
Peacefully protesting the mass production of insult, such as a blasphemous film, is perfectly in-keeping with democracy and totally acceptable and understandable. Demonstrations are one thing. Violence is something else entirely. Words must NEVER be met with violence. That is not in keeping with what I was taught.
That said, the only thing I find more distressing than the violence that resulted from this film, is the absence of that passion in the face of bloody and indiscriminant mass murder that has been going on every day in Syria for over a year. How can people be so engaged over an expression of contempt and so disengaged over the deaths of thousands at the hands of a brutal dictator? This is the question I have asked myself every night as I lay my head down to sleep. I have never been more ashamed of my Brothers in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment